Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm taking a title...

I became an ordained ministered a couple of months ago. I did it with the sole purpose of being able to marry people if (in the worst case scenario) I'm at a wedding and the minister doesn't show. I have to order a certificate from the church to prove to the state that I am able to perform marriage (and baptisms and funerals, but the state only needs it for weddings). I decided I wanted to name a "church" for myself. I use parenthesis because I don't actually have a physical church and my beliefs kept me from naming my "church" WITH the word church: Spiritual Gifts Holy Community is my "church's" name.

Sooooo, on the certificate I thought it would be interesting to have a title other than "Reverend". If I don't select a title, Reverend will be assigned to me. Which is fine, but I wanted something LESS related to an actual title for a religious person. I am taking this designation very seriously; hence the reason for your help. The list below is the list of pre-approved titles to select from. Obviously some of these I would never consider because of gender (Brother, Father) or specific religious association (Deacon, Reverend). I am also able to create a title for myself. It will have to be approved by the head of the church that ordained me; but, after looking at some of the titles below, I don't think getting a tasteful name approved would be too difficult.

My primary function as a minister is to perform marriages. I would like to create a website, one day, and offer my services publicly. Your opinion means a great deal to me, otherwise I wouldn't ask. If you have several suggestions, send them. I might be able to combine a couple of titles to make the perfect title.

I appreciate your help and I can't wait to hear your suggestions.

Blessings-
"Reverend"

  • Apostle of Humility
  • Apostolic Scribe
  • Arch Deacon
  • Ascetic Gnostic
  • Bible Historian
  • Brother
  • Brother of Soul
  • Canon
  • Cantor
  • Colonel
  • Christian Mother Superior
  • Deacon
  • Dervish
  • Disciple
  • Elder
  • Emissary
  • Field Missionary
  • Flying Missionary
  • Free Thinker
  • Friar
  • Lay Sister
  • Martyr
  • Messenger
  • Matriarch
  • Metropolitan
  • Missionary
  • Missionary Healer
  • Missionary of Music
  • Most Revered
  • Mystical Spiritual Counselor
  • Parochial Educator
  • Patriarch
  • Peace Counselor
  • Preceptor
  • Revelator
  • Saintly Healer
  • Scribe
  • Sister
  • Soul Sister
  • Spiritual Counselor
  • Spiritual Warrior
  • Starets
  • Theologian
  • The Very Esteemed
  • Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality
  • Universal Religious Philosopher

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I vote for soul sister!

Anonymous said...

I've always been a fan of 'cenobite'.

Deshaine said...

Giggles:
I don't think I have enough "soul" to be a sister. :)

Oinos:
since I neither live in a monastery or a convent, I might have to pass on that suggestion. but I'd love to hear others.