Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Secretary's Day

For a while I was the only "Secretary" on my floor. I have it in quotes because my titles is not Secretary or any variation there of. At the time of my hire, I had no experience as such, either. When I was promoted to my current position, the manager at the time felt I should be the Admin for the three departments that occupy my floor, in addition to the duties of my position. Needless to say, I pitched a fit. I'm not qualified to do the job. It's the same grade level and pay as my position but I have no experience in that function.

Eventually someone was hired to BE the Admin for the three departments. She did a bang up job, and I was glad to have her for when I needed assistance with my own work load. The Friday before I returned from medical leave after giving birth, I was informed she, the Admin, was going to another department. Great. With the economy looking grim I knew I would be the one stuck with all of the Admin duties, in addition to my regular job function, for an indefinite period of time.

In all honesty, it wasn't that bad. Expenses for 25+ people, ordering supplies for three departments, maintaining my own timeliness, accuracy and production goals were easily met daily. I actually enjoyed being... well...busy.

With the prospective contracts coming in the future, my company made the decision to hire another person to fill the position of Admin for the three departments. At first, I was glad because then I could focus on my own job function and less about the administrative aspects of running this business.

It has been wonderful getting to know my new friend. She's eager to learn and eager to be helpful. It's funny how things work out, because she is far more OVER qualified to do the job of admin than I ever will be. But yet, she does it with grace and class.

Happy Secretaries Day to you, my friend.
I should be more humble and grateful to have a job.

No comments: