Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I don't watch the news.

That's right. I don't watch the news. But that doesn't mean i don't know what's going on in the world. I just don't feel the need to expose myself to the dirty details of how many homeless people clutter the streets, how many people are unemployed today, how many murders happened since January 1 and how it's risen since last year. I don't feel I need to know how many children are abused, rapped, kid napped, murdered or missing. I get the Amber Alerts, so I don't need that additional torment from the news.

I don't read the news paper because it's almost as bad. The only difference with the news paper is the extraordinarily detailed financial and sports sections. Of which I neither understand nor care to understand.

I am not an uneducated woman. I know what's going on in the world. I know about the upper level activities: the missal in Korea, the mob of people that are unemployed, the suicide rate is probably increasing. (Simple deduction can tell you that.) Surprisingly the birth rate is increasing. But that could be from people not having health insurance. Oh, gawd...then there's Octo-Mom. Don't even let me get started on THAT. During the election all I heard about what how this candidate was saying this or that. And that is always one sided anyway, so what good does that do ANY one?

I would, for once, like for the news people to pass along GOOD news. And ONLY good news for the whole hour/half hour. Is that even possible?

I want to know about the local parks and what special activities are going on there. Tell me about communities having picnics or parades or air shows. Tell me about the local nursing home that had 50 people donate time, money and services to make it a better place.

I get so tired of hearing about how many died in Iraq/Afghanistan. It's a (VERY) unnecessary evil of the world. If you are reading this post first, let me just add this: I am a child of a career military man. I support our Troops to the nth degree. And I do that blindly. It's not their individual faults for the reason they are there. I support our President (past and current) blindly because, after all, he is/was our President and it's his responsibility to make the best decisions for our country as a whole. Period.

I do, however, thinks it's the responsibility of the media to cover what is necessary AND what is good and positive. After all... our children are growing up in this.

No comments: