Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda...

I should really blog about WTH is going on in my life right now.

But it's the same crap, just different days with a slightly more downward turn.

Although, that's not completely accurate.
Hubby did get that temp job. And he was able to work 36+ hours last week. So his paycheck Friday will be decent. But the hours for this week looks like they will max out at a whopping 16!!

WHOA! Stop the bus... :\

It sux.

Big time.

One of my BFFs had a spare Verizon phone, so I was able to remove the data plan from my package. According to the Customer Service Rep I saved $61! yippy. (Can you feel the sarcasm?) I am waiting for another "friend" to send me another Verizon phone so I can get the Hub's data package removed and possibly save ANOTHER $60+.

Here's what I have learned about Verizon and cell phones...

If you have a PDA/Smartphone like my Treo or a BlackBerry, Verizon requires you to have a data package in addition to your monthly minute/text plan. For me, that was an additional $30-$45 per month on my plan (not including taxes and all the extras they tack on). Now multiply that by two (me and the hubster), and you have an additional $60 to $90+ per month in cell phone bills.

Since Hubby and I both had data packages we were not able to combine our accounts to "share" minutes. I don't know why. We just weren't. I never asked because, at the time, it never bothered me to have two separate accounts. But that was when he was working and making decent money.

So... With the impending arrival (Thank you "O", AHA: JT) of a second non-PDA/Smartphone my "partially employed" husband will be able to have the data package removed from his plan, we will be able to consolidate accounts, share minutes and further decrease our monthly spending because Verizon offers a $9.99 add a line plan. Potentially saving me another $40-$50 per month.

That's a total combined savings of almost: $175 per month. (That's a weeks worth of daycare and a full tank of gas for me (one week) and my husband (a month, at the rate he's going without a job).

By now you're probably wondering my I don't just cancel one or both of the phones all together? Well, I'm so glad you asked. I'll tell you...

We don't have a home phone. Years ago we felt having a home phone was superfluous. So we killed it. I've heard about a home phone that's $19.99 per year. I haven't checked into it because I'll be honest... people won't call it. If they want to talk to me... they call my cell. They don't want to call the house, get Hubby and have to ask for me. People are lazy. So am I. It's easier to just keep my cell phone. (For now.)

HubbyHub is job hunting and needs to have a reliable way for people to get in touch with him. Although, I don't really know how "reliable" it will be if it gets disconnected because we can't afford to pay the $120+ monthly bill.

Me? What about me? Well... It's impossible to run a business without a way for people to contact me. Yes, I have a "real" corporate job. But I would lose that job if I were to try to run my photography business from there. As I have previously established, Hubby is "unemployed" so we need some income to be able to pay for what is absolutely necessary: mortgage, gas, groceries, daycare, etc. I supposed I could cancel it if we had a home phone, but what about all of the business cards with my number on them? These are potential clients that could potentially give me money.

Additionally, I feel every woman should be have a cell phone. If I were to get into an accident, get stranded, fall ill while drive (not likely, but still). There would be no way to get in touch with my family to let them know and if EMTs or police had to contact someone to get permission to perform services to help me, they wouldn't have a clue who to contact in an emergent situation. I've been stranded on the side of an extremely busy expressway, in the middle of winter without a phone. It's not fun. In fact, it's frightening. No one stops, and when they do you're either too desperate to care about your safety or you're so overly cautious you don't allow them to help you. I felt very helpless and vulnerable. (And if you know me personally, you know I just can't allow that to happen ever again.) I even bought my 21-year-old sister a phone because her's died and she couldn't afford another one. She got stranded, and at the time her phone didn't work.

Another reason Hubby or I should not be without a cell phone is because we have a child. Since I work 30+ minutes from home (not to mention the road construction planned for the next 5 years), I would be able to call the daycare and let them know one of my parents will be picking up Cuddle Bug. Further saving me $5 per minute every minute I was late. (And you know... just as soon as I cancel my cell phone one or all of those horrific things will happen.)

We'll try combining accounts first. If I see we're still "wasting" money on cell phones... well, then...

I might just consider suspending my number.

Temporarily.

No comments: